Friday, June 13, 2008

Bleary Eyed and Slightly Delusional

I LOOOOOVE sleep! Sadly for the past 5 days, I have been receiving very little of the lovin'. Right now, I am in the process of having Xavier sleep in his crib during his naps and all night at bedtime. In case I failed to mention, I had been doing the "family bed" with the boy. Not all the time, but enough times to have Xavier really really like it. I never intended to do the family bed; in fact, I remember a distinct conversation that I had with a friend who asked if I was going to do the family bed to which my response was, "No Way!!" Ha! Since having started the family bed, I must admit that I love it. I love having Xavier sleeping next to us and it hasn't been a safety issue at all since I have gone from being a deep sleeper to waking up at the slightest noise or rustle since having Xavier. Xavier also sleeps longer and better when he is with us and since he is still nursing, it is so much more convenient. But darkness looms.... yep, I'll be returning to work in a couple of months and I know that for my sake and my mom's, who will be watching Xavier, it is better for him (?) to sleep in his crib. So, it began on Monday. In the past, Xavier has been a cat napper and has done really well at night. Unfortunately, since we have begun this process, he has done much better on the naps and now has decided to become a night owl. He will still sleep for that one long stretch after he goes down, about 5-6 hours but then after that, he is up every hour and a half. And, he is having a harder time going back to sleep, especially when I put him on his back to sleep. I have been reading the Sleep Lady's book and using some of the methods to help Xavier sleep on his own like putting him down when he is drowsy but awake to help him learn to sleep on his own. Most of the time, he will fall asleep now without me having to hold him or rock him for too long. Also, we are really trying to be consistent with his routine at night, although, I'm still not sure when his bedtime should be. We are working on this. I've also ordered Dr. Weissbluth's book and am looking into his recommendations though I'm a little anxious about having my baby cry it out, if that's what we end up having to do. Needless to say, I'm on the verge of a breakdown. I don't do well on lack of sleep and crying it out is looking like a really great option at this point. (For me and the baby) But, we will stick it out and keep trying. I know Xavier is getting used to being in a new environment and schedule and it will just take time. In the end, I know we are doing what's best for him.

No comments: